[Marketing] Feedback from Marketing Meeting

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Dec 11 14:43:13 EST 2008

Jason Birch wrote:
> Frank wrote:
> ---------------------------
> I don't think the website committee has felt it couldn't create various
> content for the website like that discussed.  But the people involved
> have just not had the energy and expertise to do so.  I'm confident we
> (on the web site) would be most appreciative of content developed by
> the marketing committee for the web site, as well as suggestions for
> navigation, etc.
> ---------------------------
>
> I'm not convinced that WebCom is a valuable construct, especially given
> our current level of activity.  It's quite possible that WebCom's
> current moribund state is entirely due to my lack of leadership, but I'd
> like to think that there is more to it than that.  My personal feeling
> is that its function is the boring stuff that neither Marketing nor SAC
> wants to take care of, and that the overlap in responsibility between
> WebCom and Marketing leads to a reluctance/hesitance to take ownership.
>
> I would personally prefer to see WebCom rolled into Marketing.  I've
> brought this up before though, with little feedback or agreement.  I
> know that I would feel happier helping out on website tasks as part of a
> strong marketing committee, than struggling to lead a weak website
> committee.

Jason,

Well, I'm tired of fighting this.  I'd suggest you bring this as a motion
to webcom (to merge), and the marketing committee (to accept responsibility),
and then we can bring it to the board to ratify.

But there is no way I'm going to attend a long marketing meeting just
to discuss a few web site issues!

Best regards,