[Marketing] Contacting entities that registered themselves in the SPD

Arnulf Christl (OSGeo) arnulf.christl at wheregroup.com
Sat Feb 2 05:51:47 EST 2008

Hi,
I have done some spot checks in the SPD and noticed that quite a few
entries do not link back to OSGeo or any of OSGeo's projects. In some
cases the linked web sites do not even mention Open Source.

This is a lost marketing potential on one hand and does not reflect our
philosophy (to promote Open Source geospatial). We could have a lot more
visibility if more sites would link back to OSGeo and its projects.

Therefore I suggest that Marketing contacts companies and individuals who
have registered themselves in the SPD once or in a regular interval (twice
a year?) and explains these issues. In some cases I would also feel
inclined to contact them personally. For this I would need to have access
to the contact email address given in the registry.

What do you think, does this effort make sense? If yes I will ask SAC how
to get the email addresses whilst assuring privacy.

Best regars,
Arnulf.

--
Arnulf Benno Christl