[Marketing] FYI: Aust-NZ chapter stand at WALIS Forum, 12-14 March 2008

Tim Bowden tim.bowden at westnet.com.au
Mon Jan 28 09:56:26 EST 2008

On Mon, 2008-01-28 at 14:13 +0100, Arnulf Christl wrote:
> Tim Bowden wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > The Aust-NZ chapter will have a stand at WALIS Forum, one of the leading
> > geospatial events in Western Australia.  It is Govt run, but open to
> > industry.  It is expecting to attract about 700 or so attendees. Details
> > at http://www.walis.wa.gov.au/forum
> >
> > Chapter planning wiki page at
> > http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Aust-NZ/WALIS
> >
> > We have several local companies who have stepped up to the plate to
> > sponsor our stand either in kind or cash.  We are anticipating a small
> > excess of funds, probably sufficient to fund the legal incorporation of
> > our chapter.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Tim Bowden
>
> Hey, this is fantastic news! Thanks for letting us know. Pleas make
>  sure that you thoroughly advertise the event through OSGeo's news
>  channels. I added [[Category:Proposed Events]]. It sounds like you
>  want to make it a full OSGeo appearance, if so it would be helpful to
>  add a name to be event owner.

Ok, I'm happy to be the event owner.  Yes, I think this should be a full
OSGeo event.

>  http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Event_Owner#Event_Owner If this is too
>  much and you think we do not need this kind of formality please let me
>  know (curently it seems like I am the only one trying to use this
>  formal way to organize things...).
>
> Do you have all that you need wrt brochures, etc.? I guess not as we
>  did not update them for quite a while and with new projects coming in
>  and others graduating it will be time to look into them. Events like
>  this one are a good point to go through them. I put it on this week's
>  Marketing meeting agenda. We try to have the meetings at an hour that
>  makes it accessible for you too, so feel free to join in, if you have
>  other things to add.

Given the difficulty of getting Europe, US and Aust all out of bed at
the same time, I'll put my thoughts here, but if the meeting is at a
possible time (anytime not between about gmt 14:00 and gmt 22:00) I'll
try and join in.

We have quite a few brochures left over from the stand we did in Jan
'07, but I suspect some of them may be a little out of date by now.  Are
they still ok to use?  If not, we may have the funds here to get some
new ones printed.  We just need to be cautious about wastage; I'm not
sure yet how many we will need.  I still need to check which ones we
have- They're on the other side of the continent so it may take a few
days.

I'd like to get a source cd put together to give out.  I'm rigging up
some scripts to automate (at least a little) the creation of an iso
containing the latest stable and dev source code for all OSGeo projects,
but I'll need some help putting together some suitable html to go with
it.  My html is typically quite ugly :o/.  I'll report back when I have
it going.

What is the latest with the elusive live cd?  If we have something up to
date, we can also distribute that.

We are planning some demos running, but apart from a deegree demo from
lat-lon I'm not quite sure yet just what we'll have.

I believe we have enough T-shirts left over from Jan '07, but again I'm
checking on that.

> Best regards,
> Arnulf.

Regards,