[Marketing] Re: [OSGeo-Edu] Guidelines/Template for OSGeo HTML Documentation

Arnulf Christl arnulf.christl at wheregroup.com
Tue Jul 8 05:54:05 EDT 2008

Helena Mitasova wrote:

> On Jul 7, 2008, at 6:41 PM, Landon Blake wrote:
>
>> This topic deals with the preparation of educational material, but I
>> thought that it might be related to the work of the Marketing
>> Committee, and eventually the OSGeo Journal, so I added this message
>> to all three (3) lists.
>>
>> I’d like to start work soon on a simple converter that moves OSGeo
>> educational material from Docbook to HTML. I’d specifically like to
>> start testing a documentation tool chain with this converter for the
>> English Free GIS Book and the Starter Dictionary.
>>
>> I imagined using two (2) CSS files for the output HTML documentation.
>> One could be used for online viewing, and one for hardcopy printing.
>
> I think this is a good idea. It is what we have ended up using for the
> NCSU GIS program (at least for now).
>> I’m fairly handy with CSS and HTML, but I was hoping to get some
>> direction for the creation of the style sheets. Do we have an OSGeo
>> color scheme somewhere? Does the OSGeo have a preferred font family
>> for online documentation?
>>
>> (I know that I can get a logo from here: http://www.osgeo.org/logos)
>>
>> Should I make the stylesheets follow the color palettes contained in
>> this document?:
>> http://download.osgeo.org/osgeo/logos/OSGeo_logo_guide.pdf
>
> I suggest yes.

We are currently in the process of reviewing the latest CI update from a designer and will update the referenced document in the next two weeks. This  will mainly include color palettes and the logo update.

I have added fonts as a topic for our next Marketing meeting agenda. Currently a lot of old stuff is available in Arial, Verdana and Garamond but the tendency is to move to "Nimbus Sans L" - but this is not official policy yet.

>> Even if I use those color palettes, I’ll likely need to add some
>> colors for things like visited and unvisited hyperlinks.
>> I thought it would be good to set my style sheets up so they could be
>> used in other OSGeo online documentation, and especially for other
>> projects coming from the education committee. It would also be great
>> to see the same style sheets used for online versions of OSGeo Journal
>> articles, if we ever get around to building a web presence for the
>> Journal.
>>

>> I’m not too fussy about things like colors and fonts. I just want to
>> set the style sheets up to use what everyone else is using.
> it would be nice if we have a graphic designer or at least somebody with
> graphics background help
> out to give the documents a professional look and feel.
>
> Helena

We have a budget to do this kind of thing, I will add this topic for the next meeting.

Best regards,
Arnulf.