[Marketing] New draft logos

Arnulf Christl arnulf.christl at wheregroup.com
Wed Mar 12 14:43:40 EDT 2008

Jeroen Ticheler wrote:
> Hi all,
> Attached is a new document with draft logos for OSGeo, projects and
> sponsors. This is the result of the feedback that came in during the IRC
> meeting and my own comments. Please provide your feedback by email or
> during the next marketing meeting on IRC. I hope we can finalize this soon.
>
> Arnulf will hopefully send out an invitation for a meeting this week
> later today.
>
> Ciao,
> Jeroen

Hi,
I like version 3b.

/me deviates into psychological interpretations:

It reaches out and shines.
It is somewhat spiky, so don't mess with it.
It has a structure that is recognizable a compass. (less resemblance to a steering wheel)

to be honest /me couldn't care less what it looks like. But lets get this finished. To speed up things (and make all hate me) I motion to adopt 3b as our new printable, stichable, tatooable and officiable logo. Someone second this?

+1 Arnulf

On another issue: I assimilated some intriguing new memes when reading the Open Source Jahrbuch 2008 (http://www.opensourcejahrbuch.de/). There is an article on OSM - but in this context the acronym does not spell out OpenStreetMap but Open Source Marketing. The idea is pretty transparent, here are some random EN lang links to scan:

http://www.collaboratemarketing.com/open_source_marketing/
http://www.clickz.com/showPage.html?page=3397411
http://www.changethis.com/14.OpenSourceMktg (prettypretty)

>From this perspective we might also want to reconsider how restrictive we should handle our logo. You all know the GRASS logo but the one I really love is this one:
http://www.wheregroup.com/files/imageupload/grass_logo_animated.gif

Beyond the logo this also applies to our committee. We are such a tiny group and have so little time that we are not going to get anywhere except if we manage to spread word with somewhat more creativity. We should simply start to consider ourselves more as yet another Open Source project. Lets not try to lure more volunteers into the Venus trap but make Marketing something that people really care for, an attractive, shiny business.

Just some random thoughts from one who tries hard to rid some frustrations.

Best regards,
Arnulf.