[Marketing] New draft logos

Pericles S. Nacionales pnaciona at gis.umn.edu
Tue Mar 18 19:18:22 EDT 2008

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) wrote:
> On 17-Mar-08, at 12:29 PM, Michael P. Gerlek wrote:
>
>> Sorry if I'm late replying, I've been on vacation...
>>
>> As I said on IRC a couple weeks ago, I strongly urge no change to the
>> current set of logos.
>>
>> Rationale: we paid considerable $$$ to PushDesign for these a couple
>> years ago, and I don't see any need to change our logo style or color
>> scheme.
>
> The more I think about it, the more I agree with Michael on this,
> especially as I start to consider all the places our logo would need
> to be changed (ack!).  I'm not so worried about the cost if we have a
> clear motive and purpose.  Do we feel a change is necessary and are we
> willing to make the change "across the board".. everywhere that it
> will need it?
>
> Initially I thought we were only going to be tweaking the logo to make
> it more usable in certain contexts, and to add the additional tag
> lines.  I must have misunderstood, but it didn't sink in until we got
> this spread of new logo options.
>
> I'm not afraid of change, but I'm reluctant on this aspect.
> Essentially I want to be sure that the benefit is clear to the
> community and supporters.   I may be convinced to give it my vote if
> our rationale is clearer.

FWIW, I also agree with Michael on this.  We can add the "Project" and
"Sponsor" texts without changing the logo.  We can't be changing logos
every year--that would be very expensive and will confuse a lot of
people.  I do like the new logos but, as Tyler says, is there a clear
rationale for this.  Also, does the rest of OSGeo know that we're
changing the logo?  This might be one of those things that could get
people riled up when they see things have changed all of a sudden.

-Perry