[Board] Re: [Marketing] Local Chapter policy

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu May 29 15:06:37 EDT 2008

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) wrote:

> On 29-May-08, at 10:07 AM, Mateusz Loskot wrote:
>
>> FYI, there is now OSGeo chapter in Poland (yet) but I registered
>> http://osgeo.pl domain and redirected it to Polish translation of
>> http://osgeo.org
>
> And there are various other local chapter web sites and events that I am
> convinced the Marketing Committee knows nothing of.  Can an event just
> make a pointer back to OSGeo's site and use the brand?  Seems so and has
> been acceptable without more bureaucracy.

Tyler,

I *think* that official chapters have quite a bit of latitude in describing
their events as OSGeo events without seeking any particular additional
approval from the Marketting committee, board, etc.  I'm inclined to
give "chapters in formation" some latitude in this regard too, though
they don't really have any official status.

So, for instance, we members of the Ottawa Chapter have been considering
geocamp an OSGeo activity on the basis of a bunch of positive grunts of
support at a past pub meeting where it was discussed.

Best regards,