[Marketing] Motion: AAG 2009 Proposal

Tim Bowden tim.bowden at westnet.com.au
Tue Oct 14 21:58:31 EDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-10-14 at 13:23 -0700, Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) wrote:
> Committee members, please share you comments or concerns ASAP on this:
> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/AAG_2009
> The main issue being the $1,000 booth charge.  The rest is flexible.
> If there are no huge objections, then I will book the booth with a
> $500 deposit since there are only 4 booth spots left and deadline is
> in a day or so.
>
> Tyler

+1 given the level of volunteer involvement there seems to be for this.

Notes: It's always nice to try and get local sponsors (commercial
outfits friendly to FOSS) to pay for booths where possible, but looks
like this is not an option for this time around.

Sometimes it helps to plead poor non profit and get a free booth, but I
see from irc that we're already getting the non profit price.

Sharing a booth with Autodesk:  If Autodesk (or any other friendly
outfit) have a booth at an event, I don't see there is a problem if they
let us take up a corner where we wouldn't otherwise have space.  I don't
consider that a conflict of interest wrt FOSS v proprietary.  It is
healthy to see that proprietary outfits can support and start to play in
the FOSS sandpit.  Autodesk here in AU have lent us booth space before
and it has gone off well.

Regards,
Tim

> On 14-Oct-08, at 1:18 PM, Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) wrote:
>
> > I support the proposed approach and discussed it today with Alex in
> > more detail:
> > http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/AAG_2009
> > At the end of the day it's whether or not we want to have a booth -
> > that will cost $1,000.  The other costs are very flexible and
> > alternatives will be sought to cover them.
> >
> > $1,000 is, relatively speaking, great value for money and virtually
> > supports local chapters around North America and, apparently,
> > internationally too.  We've lamented not having a booth at AAG for
> > several years now.  I see it as a strategic outreach that crosses
> > disciplines, focuses on potential users and has a large number of
> > interested attendees.
> >
> > Time is running out and we need to make a $500 deposit ASAP, before
> > they close us out of having a booth.  Since the event isn't until
> > next year, that gives us lots of time to work on further
> > sponsorships or partnerships to help fund the remaining $500 of the
> > booth.
> >
> > Also, even though it's always a good strategy to reduce our costs
> > or cost-share for these kinds of events - these are some of the
> > things our foundation sponsors sponsor us to do.  So finding OSGeo
> > sponsors helps to make these events more sustainable in the future.
> >
> > Tyler
> >
> > On 8-Oct-08, at 12:48 AM, Cameron Shorter wrote:
> >
> >> Alex,
> >> I don't expect you will get a commitment from the Marketing
> >> Committee before Tyler returns (on Monday).
> >>
> >> Even then, OSGeo's budget is small, ~ $3K per local chapter. And
> >> I'd argue that OSGeo doesn't have resources to fully fund
> >> participation at any event.
> >>
> >> I suggest you approach local Open Source industry who will be at
> >> the conference. You may be able to share a booth with them.
> >>
> >> Commercial Support for Open Source is key to the user value
> >> proposition, and without it Open Source uptake will be limited.
> >
> > Tyler Mitchell
> > Executive Director
> > Open Source Geospatial Foundation
> > tmitchell at osgeo.org
> > P: +1-250-277-1621
> > M: +1-250-303-1831
Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you recognize a mistake
when you make it again.