[Marketing] FOSS4G marketing/incubation meeting

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Tue Oct 27 03:56:15 EDT 2009

At the FOSS4G code sprint we had a talk over lunch with a number of
project leaders about marketing and incubation.

I think we should wait 3 to 4 weeks for people to return home and clear
their backlog of work, and then address these issues.  Sometime around
the 16 November.

Key take home points for me from the meeting:

* The OSGeo Incubation "badge" provides a quality stamp that we need to
keep at a high standard if we want it to remain valuable.

* Hence, if we wish to keep up with industry, the requirements for
incubation should gradually increase over time, and old incubated
projects should be expected to continue to be updating and improving.

* There was debate as to whether we should remove previously incubated
projects if they don't keep updating, although a more palatable
suggestion may be to add extra stars next to projects which pass the
extra sign off criteria. The extra criteria suggested included:

** Project descriptions to be included into marketing material. Tyler
took an action to provide a template which projects can follow.

** Include projects into the Live DVD and OSGeo4W

** ...

--
Cameron Shorter
Geospatial Solutions Manager