[Marketing] Logo for UK local chapter

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Tue Aug 3 02:38:17 EDT 2010

On 08/02/2010 06:07 AM, Joanne Cook wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> The UK chapter has come up with an updated logo, based on the main OSGeo logo but incorporating a stylised Stonehenge. I wanted to run it past you before we release it on an unsuspecting world, in case we have misinterpreted the guidelines or anything like that. It can be found here: http://ubuntuone.com/p/A7c/
>
> We hope it's OK and meets the guidlines- if not could someone provide me with some tips on what needs changing.
>
> Many Thanks
>
> Jo

I'm not sure we ever made a final decision on how to handle chapter
logos, though there was much discussion on the topic. In specific advise
to your logo, I would change the :UK to the blue color in the logo
samples (the ones that says things like projects).

Below is more opinion on an undecided matter:
Personally my opinion was that a chapter logo could do whatever it
wanted but would be displayed or combined with an unaltered OSGeo logo.
That interpretation would rule out the Stonehengish circles, but you
could move those behind the UK part of the logo.

Looking at a couple of random orgs with strong brands (Sierra Club, and
Audobon Society) it's an all or none proposition. Basically you either
use the logo as is with the accepted addition of the chapter name, or
you use none of it and make a unique logo that could easily be displayed
next to the official logo without double vision.

Thanks for bringing the topic back up, since it would be good to
finalize the guidelines (note: guidelines not rules).

Thanks,
Alex