[Marketing] a banner server?

Sergiusz Pawlowicz sergiusz at pawlowicz.name
Fri Aug 27 06:16:33 EDT 2010

On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 08:41, Cameron Shorter
<cameron.shorter at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 27/08/10 08:16, christopher.schmidt at nokia.com wrote:
>>>
>>> hi,
>>>

>> You skipped an important question, in my opinion:
>>
>> Why?
>>

> Why? In theory a banner server will increase awareness and ultimate uptake
> of Open Source software. In practice, a banner service running on an OSGeo
> server is preaching to the converted.

i cannot agree. please notice we do not have to announce osgeo
rationale, but we can e.g. display current events without any
involvement from page authors. they need to put a code once, and later
we can change the content centrally. we can also propose to include
the code on other pages, not only these which belong to osgeo, to help
us promote osgeo-related actions.

cheers -
serge