[Marketing] Re: OSGeo at Where 2.0?

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) tmitchell at osgeo.org
Mon Nov 8 15:08:00 EST 2010

On November 8, 2010 11:57:10 am Alex Mandel wrote:
> Wow, if they are offering all that and it's not going to cost us
> anything monetarily that's a really good deal. We have had
> representation at Where 2.0 the last couple of years (last year was a
> bit of a fiasco due to schedule change and last minute issues).
>
> Would we need the Board to approve?

+1 from me.  As long as we have some folks able to attend a booth, I think
it's awesome value with easy commitments.  We shouldn't need board approval
for a marketing decision.  We aren't formalising anything except to be part of
their community partner "program" but that's nothing formal I guess (or not
any more formal than signing up as an exhibitor).

As long as Marketing Committee, or others, are willing to do the promo part -
article in journal, new items posting on the website, blog several times, a
few emails to the discuss list, etc. - then I think we're good to go.  Unless
there's an MOU or contract to sign, let's go for it.

One thing worth asking is if we can give out promotional material for FOSS4G -
to avoid some past issues of course.  Or I guess you'd describe that better as
being able to tell people about the work we do.. including our educational
events :)  If they really want us there and as a partner, then it may be worth
pushing that point while we can ?  Just an idea... since getting people to
FOSS4G is the most impressive marketing we can do.

Thanks for forwarding Cameron!