[Marketing] Event listing (was: [Fwd: [OSGeo-Discuss] Which 2011 conferences should we distribute OSGeo-Live DVDs at?])

Seven (aka Arnulf) seven at arnulf.us
Thu Oct 28 09:40:33 EDT 2010

Folks,
we had several efforts to collect information about events. One of them
was in the Wiki by creating a start page for whichever events that might
be interesting to OSGeo and then awarding it different categories. We
would move it up from Proposed [1] to Events [2] (which requires a
committed Event Owner [3]) and then to Past Events [4] for documentation
and archival purposes. This is a great way to organize things (at least
that was what I thought at the time we started it :-) but it does not
really work too well. :-(

Recurring events seem to manage fairly well, this obviously includes
FOSS4G but also AGIT, Intergeo, FOSSGIS [5], etc. They have their own
recurring page and then annual sub pages.

Then we have the "Upcoming events" section on the OSGeo main web site
http://www.osgeo.org/ which seems to work just fine. Cameron now created
a Google spreadsheet and the FOSS4G 2011 team had it's own list of
parallel events [6] duplication these efforts. But these are all only
informational and do not contain any information about how OSGeo was
involved.

It might be worth while to look into the way we manage OSGeo appearances
 and potentially bundle resources (and clean up a bit while we are at it).

Thoughts?

Arnulf.

[1] http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Category:Proposed_Events
[2] http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Category:Events