[Marketing] Event listing (was: [Fwd: [OSGeo-Discuss] Which 2011 conferences should we distribute OSGeo-Live DVDs at?])

Tyler Mitchell tmitchell at osgeo.org
Thu Oct 28 16:22:48 EDT 2010

On 2010-10-28, at 12:43 PM, Cameron Shorter wrote:

> What is required by event organisers, and the osgeo-live team, is a chronological list of upcoming events. To achieve this currently from the wiki, you would need to dig through 20 or so web pages, which is not practical.
>
> The RSS feed of events at http://osgeo.org looks promising, if we can have all potential events listed via that RSS feed.
> I assume we'd be able to assign categories to the feed?
> Eg: have: http://osgeo.org/rss_events?category=proposed
>
> What options do we have available to us for the RSS feed?

We've kept the current events listing on osgeo.org/news to only include events pertaining to open source or where OSGeo will be present (more or less).  We could add a field to the new event form then filter using it for the rss feed (or for a new feed).  I think we have good flexibility on this front!  We'd have to open up the ability for more folks to add to the list of events.

I can take a crack at it.