[Marketing] MOTION: Fund exhibition pack for OSGeo.nl

David Percy percyd at pdx.edu
Fri Apr 6 12:37:04 EDT 2012

de-lurking for a moment...

seconding Eli's observation that the $350 pop-up banner REALLY makes us
look good at events, and seems like the most important item. Consumables
like DVDs should maybe be funded by the conference, as someone else noted...
For $5000, you could buy almost 15 popup banners for local orgs around the
world :-)
Percy
PDX-OSGEO
Portland, OR
USA

On Fri, Apr 6, 2012 at 9:24 AM, Jo Cook <jocook at astuntechnology.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Given that the budget allocates 5000$ to the marketing committee
> (conditional on there being a chair elected, as I understand it from
> Daniele's mail to the Board list), I think that we need to consider how far
> that money is going to go, if we're prepared to allocate 1200$ to one local
> chapter. Personally I'm in agreement with Alex that this seems like a lot
> of money. However there's a difference between "seed funding" to allow a
> newly formed chapter to get a banner and a stash of literature, and
> "general running costs" such as replacing live dvds, leaflets etc as they
> are needed. I wonder also if it might be a good idea to stipulate that the
> local chapter should make every reasonable attempt to get some funding of
> their own? I know from personal experience that this is really hard as
> potential sponsors do not see why they should sponsor OSGeo twice- once at
> global level and again at regional/local chapter level, but I think it's
> important to try at least.
>
> On that basis it should be possible to define two levels of funding that
> chapters can apply for- one for newly formed chapters and another for
> established ones, to stop every chapter demanding their 1200$. I've spent
> around $500 on leaflets and live DVDs for the UK chapter this year, so that
> would be a reasonable starting amount for an established chapter.
>
> Jo
>

> --
> ***Jo Cook*
> Astun Technology Ltd, The Coach House, 17 West Street, Epsom, Surrey, KT18
> 7RL, UK
> t:+44 750 095 8167
> iShare - Data integration and publishing platform<http://www.isharemaps.com/>
> See the new Helpdesk and Customer portal<http://support.astuntechnology.com/home>
> Over 35% of the 4 star council websites use iShare - SOCITM Better
> Connected 2010
>
> See our customer commendations and awards<http://astuntechnology.com/customers/awards-and-commendations/>
>
>  Company registration no. 5410695. Registered in England and Wales.
> Registered office: 120 Manor Green Road, Epsom, Surrey, KT19 8LN VAT no.
> 864201149.

David Percy ("Percy")
-Geospatial Data Manager
-Web Map Wrangler