[Marketing] Conference Strategy [Was: Fund Marketing pack for Philippines local chapter]

Basques, Bob (CI-StPaul) bob.basques at ci.stpaul.mn.us
Mon Oct 15 10:29:24 PDT 2012

>>  > Related to this, where is a good spot to write a up a page
>>  about past conferences to promote things, should this be somehow
>>  a news item of some sort with a link to the writeup??  I'll admit
>>  to being ignorant about where and how we should be
>>  selling/announcing the stuff that's already been done but I think
>>  it should be captured in some form.  BTW, I don't have a problem
>>  with just going and adding to feeds and such (once I figure the
>>  process out) but I think a list of what could/should be done on a
>>  per event basis might be good, does this exist somewhere?
>>  >
>>  OSGeo wiki under your local chapter activities. You can also tag
>>  the pages with the Events and Marketing category tags. That's at
>>  least how the California chapter does it. For large events we
>>  make wiki pages for each and link them to our chapter.

Alex,

Hmm, I'm surprised there is not a Blogging setup for this type of thing.  Even a one pager describing the events for posterity would be good.

I figured things were going to need to go the solo route though.  I understand about the promotions side and even the getting folks to contribute to OSGeo as a whole.  But realistically, the donations garnered from these events are a couple of hundred at a time, from different vendors, and to be truthful, I think the appropriate place to add these sorts of donation specifics is to some sort of blog or event bio.  Larger sponsorship seems to be keyed towards particular projects anyway.  I could make a case that projects joining OSGeo should have some sort of promotions aspect in place as a general business guideline as well, which was one of those other threads I was talking about.

Bobb