[Marketing] Sort of outreach pack?

Jo Walsh metazool at fastmail.net
Sat Oct 20 19:44:59 PDT 2012

Hello!

Our local police forces are going through a merger, looking to save money, seem to be struggling with very twentieth-century looking software, like someone took a paper based system and reworked it in Visual Basic.

Anyway, I find their problems really interesting. I'm fantasising about getting free software + open geodata quickly solving some of the problems.

OSGeo tools are obviously at the heart of that. And OSGeo with its  guarantee of standard quality, persistence, should help as a convincer for what remains of their upper management. A glossy information pack would help, is there something like that around that one can send off for?

My previous employer, EDINA, are big OSGeo users in the way that fish are big water users - what do you mean, option? - and I could invite them in to tell reassuring stories about things becoming more reliable and manageable as they migrated. (They still work with Cadcorp as well, though)

Now, I don't know about the ethics of this: OSGeo would also serve as a flag of convenience for me. It would be "may I come and talk to you about OSGeo" rather than "may I talk to you as some kind of private consultant" (which I wouldn't really be doing either. I mostly just want a good look around). I mean, I would do justice to it too, I would hope. Would that be all right.

--
Sent