[Marketing] seeking a mandate 2

Eli Adam eadam at co.lincoln.or.us
Fri Dec 9 13:46:43 PST 2016

On Fri, Dec 9, 2016 at 12:59 PM, Jody Garnett <jody.garnett at gmail.com> wrote:
> Okay let me try that -- and then let's continue this discussion on the board
> list (I already feel like I am days late if we want this sorted for our Dec
> 14th meeting). Are you comfortable taking further discussion to the board
> list? As you can see in the text below I have not taken on board all of your
> feedback ...
>
> Let me try again in the form of a letter we can send to the board - it will
> also help if you update the next in addition to making suggestions :)
>
> The marketing committee is in the process of reforming and would like to ask
> for a mandate (similar to what has been provided in the motion to form the
> conference committee, incubation committee, ...).
>
> The revamped committee seeks responsibility for:
> * growing our community with new users
> * establish a marketing strategy
> * providing support for events
>
> Specifically for 2017 we are willing to take responsibility for:
> * Reboot the OSGeo website in time for the FOSS4G Boston event

I don't see any reason to set an arbitrary deadline of FOSS4G Boston.
How long it takes to reboot the website should be determined based on
the dependencies (likely getting back information from the Board or
other Committees, contractor schedules, etc).  There is not really any
harm is setting this date as a goal for completion but it does seem
arbitrary rather than based on an evaluation of the tasks.

I'm glad to see the Marketing Committee with excitement and energy.
Keep up the good work.

Best regards, Eli