[Marketing] osgeo handout 2017

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Wed Apr 12 09:15:40 PDT 2017

Taking this to a seperate email:

Hi Jody,
> nice. I like the new flyer ;)
> Hope it is ok, to give some feedback. I only had a quick look...
> Sponsors
> ----------------
> please check the sponsors of 2017.
> Looks like there is an error in the list:
> http://www.osgeo.org/content/sponsorship/sponsors.html
> You thank the sponsors of 2017 and then you print Boundless logo which is
> not in the list of 2017.
> It would be great to mention all the sponsors of 2017 - also bronze
> sponsors and skip the logos in my opinion. Or sprint the logos of the
> majpor sponsor.

We have an obligation to display sponsor logs for the higher sponsorship
tiers. Please see http://www.osgeo.org/sponsorship for details on what
"marketing" has promised OSGeo sponsors with respect to handouts and booth
presence. These decisions pre-date me, if we wish to change we will need to
do so for next year.

> OSGeo-Live
> ----------------
> * Maybe you could use the whole logo https://github.com/OSGeo/OSGeo
> Live-doc/blob/master/images/banner.svg
> * maybe you could change the first sentance (as OSGeo-live is so often DVD
> anymore)

Cameron edited after this went to press, the justification and column
wrapping got messed up.

instead of:
> "OSGeo-Live is a bootable DVD, USB or Virtual Machine with pre-installed
> geospatial open source software, sample data, overviews and quickstarts."
>
> better:
> "OSGeo-Live is a GIS software collection. It can be used as Virtual
> Machine, USB or DVD and provides pre-installed geospatial open source
> software, sample data, overviews and quickstarts."

> Skip the logos from ICA and ISPRS - use the space for OSGeo specific info

They are partners in the GeoForAll initiative, I figured they would be
known to AAG attendees (lending credibility to our organization for this
target audience).

> ----------------
> * add logos from OSGeo projects

The logos would be nice, did not have time as this was done the night
before. I am concerned that logos would not mean anything to new users who
have never head of the open source projects, it barely means anything as it
is but at least they can web search the name.

More
> ----------
> * Maybe you could mention the local chapters, global events, Sol Katz,

Local chapters yes, but I am not sure if we have enough local chapters in
north america to promote.

> * image - maybe they look better with a dark frame,

No feedback.

We updated the flyer in 2016. Maybe you can take some information from here:
> https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/browser/marketing/flyer/osgeo/e
> n/OSGeo_org_EN_A4.pdf

What is that pdf doing in trac? I thought all the marketing stuff was in
svn :)

We are slated as part of the website/rebranding to get updated flyers. I
guess we cannot wait and need to print something for OSCon. I do not have
capacity to update a flyer at present, are you in position to provide
something we can print for OSCon?