[Marketing] Booth Swaps

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 13:11:31 PST 2017

Hi Guido,
I think the idea has a lot of potential. The key element is to work out
whether it would be sustainable. So I'd suggest seeing if you can locate
a group of people who would be willing to man a booth. I suspect you
could if there were someone dynamic who would take on the job of
coordinating and asking around for volunteers.
We do have an OSGeo Advocate [1] list which was specifically set up for
these sort of out reach efforts.
So I'd suggest:
1. Find someone prepared to coordinate a booth at events for next year
or 2, ideally more. (They don't have to be at the event, but that would
be preferable). This person might be you?

2. Locate a few people prepared to volunteer to man the booths during
breaks of the next few events. Ideally these would be people attending
the conference already, and probably also locals.

[1] https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_Advocate

On 16-Feb-17 7:31 AM, Jody Garnett wrote:
> The idea of having a booth (or even just a pass to "our annual
> conference") comes up in the MOU that OSGeo signs with a few
> organizations.
>
> I feel that the idea is fine ... but that the OSGeo board should pay
> for it (so it does not become a burden on the local organizing
> committee). If the goal is for the organizations to support each other ...
>
> The other half is we need to have volunteers in position to run an
> OSGeo booth in order to have value out of a booth swap. The fact that
> you are in position to volunteer makes this more viable.

> On 15 February 2017 at 12:20, Guido Stein <guido at guidostein.com
> <mailto:guido at guidostein.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hey folks,
>
>     I have been reaching out to like minded conference and media folks
>     and the idea of a booth swap has come up as a way to offer support.
>
>     I have discussed this idea with the AAG and OSCON folks, but
>     nothing is set in stone. As I discussed this with the folks I
>     spoke with it would be an OSGeo booth at their events.
>
>     I can support the AAG event in Boston this year if they agree to
>     this, I may need some travel support to attend the OSCON event.
>
>     So, backing up again, is a booth at either the AAG or OSCON in
>     Austin of interest to the group? If so who should I work with to
>     make these things happen on the OSGeo end.
>
>     To be clear, we have not been offered anything yet, so I am
>     looking for some feedback from Marketing about the potential interest.
>
>     -Guido

Cameron Shorter,
Software and Data Solutions Manager, Jirotech,
Suite 112, Jones Bay Wharf,
26 - 32 Pirrama Rd, Pyrmont NSW 2009

P +61 2 8099 9000, M +61 419 142 254, W www.jirotech.com