[Marketing] results of today's chat

Eli Adam eadam at co.lincoln.or.us
Wed Jan 4 10:20:56 PST 2017

Hi all,

Has the Marketing Committee decided on whether OSGeo Sponsors must be
at least in some tangential way related to open source or geospatial
software?  I think that we should only accept relevant sponsors and
have the option to decline sponsorships.

QGIS has a good example of a policy,
http://qgis.org/en/site/getinvolved/governance/sponsorship/sponsorship.html#qgis-sponsorship-program
(at the bottom):

Warning
Acceptance of sponsorship offers is at the discretion of the QGIS PSC.
We reserve the right to decline offers of sponsorship if the
sponsoring organisation or party seems to be at odds with the ethos of
our project. For example offers from marketing companies that have
nothing to do with GIS / spatial services, or offers where we have
reason to believe the presence of the sponsors logo and marketing
materials on our site and other materials will degrade the experience
of our users will be declined.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Best regards, Eli