[Marketing] OSGeo projects logo symbol set needed

Jeroen Ticheler jeroen.ticheler at geocat.net
Tue Nov 21 12:32:55 PST 2017

Dear Marketing committee,

We have a need for a (free/open) set of scalable symbols (TTF) that represent different OSGeo projects / software packages. These symbols should have a common style so they work well together visually. At the moment such symbols do not exist.

Based on the existing project logos it is quite a challenge to produce a uniform set of graphics / symbols. OpenGeo produced something in that direction in the past with a GeoServer logo, PostGIS logo, OpenLayers and QGIS logo they could use in their product suite. In our case we are not looking for graphics like those of OpenGeo, but for scalable TTF symbols as exist for e.g. Whatsapp, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter that are found on many websites.

Is this something that OSGeo could take up and fund so it becomes a resource the whole OSGeo community can benefit from?

It may require support/ buy in from the projects that become part of such symbol set. Not sure what other things are required?

Looking forward to hear from you, cheers,
Jeroen

Jeroen Ticheler
GeoCat bv
Veenderweg 13