[Marketing] joining the marketing committee

adam steer adam.d.steer at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 04:12:03 PDT 2018

ps - I saw that I’m meant to say something about myself (
https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Marketing_Committee_Members).

I’m Dr Adam Steer, I work for a Canberra (Australia) based startup building
point cloud exploitation tools on an open source stack, primarily for the
Australian Defence force. I’ve been working on LIDAR for a decade, PhDing
on surveying Antarctic sea ice to estimate ice thickness from high
resolution altimetry (or trying to). I first used OSgeo tools with QGIS way
back in 2007 (I didn’t know OSgeo existed, it was just an awesomely useful,
free cartography tool); and then got really interested when I started
working with geospatial web data services a couple of years ago. I’m now
one of the team organising FOSS4G SotM Oceania - and since I’m terrible at
coding, I’m happy to help grow this ecosystem in other ways. I should also
mention that back in the jurassic, when CSS had just evolved and LAMP
stacks were emerging from the swamp of handcrafted HTML, I worked in web
publishing. I can drive wordpress reasonably well (although don’t ask me to
write PHP or MySQL queries anymore, I’ve forgotten…). I maintain a couple
of websites about work (spatialised.net) and bikes (
toolsfortherevolution.com) if you want to see how I write things.

Cheers

Adam