[Marketing] Introduction

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Wed Sep 4 15:24:00 PDT 2019

Welcome Jan,
OSGeo needs people like you. We have oodles of volunteer software engineers
and GIS professionals, but very few people with a marketing background who
have stayed around.

So here is the challenge you face:
What do you think should and can be done which:
* Is sustainable with almost no long term financial input?
* With very few marketing volunteers (unless you recruit them yourself)?
* Adds value?

On Tue, 3 Sep 2019 at 22:34, Guido Stein <guido at guidostein.com> wrote:

> Hi Jan,
>
> Thank you for your kind offer. I am sure we can benefit from your support.
>
> The marketing group is a little quiet at the moment, but there are many
> dedicated folks participating here.
>
> -guido
>
> On Mon, Sep 2, 2019, 5:13 PM Jan Keil <keil at osua.info> wrote:
>
>> Dear OSgeo marketing team,
>>
>> I would like to use this chance and introduce myself.
>> My name is Jan Keil, I have been at FOSS4G for the first time recently
>> in Bucharest.
>>
>> I have a lot of interests, where geospatial is still only a hobby. Will
>> see what the future will bring.
>> Some short overview of my business expertise you can find in LinkedIn:
>> https://www.linkedin.com/in/jan-keil-2011a61/ (Please connect ;))
>> My daily bread and butter I earn as a marketing executive.
>>
>> Personally I am kinda extroverted, but still a calm fellow. I am good at
>> listening to people and have a good sense of mediating opposition parties.
>> I am happily married, father of 2 (soon plus 1) kids and we are living
>> in Kyiv, Ukraine.
>>
>> In my youth, I had the luck to be a part of the German Chaos Computer
>> Club and founding member of the local CCC community "entropia" in
>> Karlsruhe.
>>
>> (spoiler alarm)
>> I would like to join you, let's say, because of the bigger picture.
>> After years of pure "profit maximization for the sake of the
>> shareholders" I got more mature, went through different challenges and
>> adjusted my inner world view towards "sharing means caring".
>>
>> This said, I would like to support your marketing activities and are
>> open-minded to whatever comes up.
>>
>> All the best,
>> Jan

Cameron Shorter