[Marketing] Proposal to subscribe to an email platform for all of OSGeo committees

Adam Steer adam.d.steer at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 06:22:08 PDT 2020

hi folks (restricting response to the list I have permission to post on)

It is great to see a move away from mailchimp - which for me is less about
money and more about knowing what subscriber data are retained and used
(and being able to properly describe it to users/subscribers).

I have some questions:

Is there a reason the existing discussion / announce list infrastructure
(including announce at lists.osgeo.org and foss4gXXXX at lists.osgeo.org) cannot
be used? (are there numbers on how much that costs?)

If we're talking about building infrastructure, is it a good time to talk
about wholesale migration for all of OSGeo lists to more modern systems (eg
mailman v3 or discourse, or ...)? - using F4G 2021 as the guinea pig?

Is sharing mailing lists ethical/permitted? My argument here is that when a
subscriber signs up they should be allowed to give (or not) permission
about how (and by whom) they are contacted in future - in the example a
user signs up for FOSS4G2021 communications, we should not (even if it is
allowed by law) then share their details in future with some other event
*without explicit permission to do so* (do we know for sure that those
10-15k contacts signed up for future communications about conferences?)

...and what is the purpose for tracking e-mail? do we explain what is
tracked and why anywhere? are there examples for people to see? are
subscribers plainly made aware that mail to them is tracked?

With sendy I see some similarities to mailchimp in that regard, collecting
a bunch of stuff for the aim of... is anybody sure?

I know there's likely some pressure to get messages going out for
FOSS4G2021, it'd be great to see it done with awesome data privacy
practices and open tooling in mind :)

Regards,

Adam