[Marketing] Proposal: osgeo website emergency quickfix

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Fri Feb 2 19:41:27 PST 2024

Thanks for looking at this Vicky, it is an important topic but not
something we can do in isolation.

The marketing list is our best source of folks aware of brand
sensitivities, and nothing is so emotion filled as our sponsors page.
I really want to get the go-ahead here before doing any design.

It is required to have a visual plan - once we have a plan we can prototype
with a design / goal in mind.

Feedback on https://dev.www.osgeo.org/sponsors/L

   - If the square logos get too close to the top edge legibility are lost.
   - If the wide logos get too close to the sides legibility is lost
   - Square logos like "Kaplan" have so much more visual space then logos
   like "ip2location" it can lead to unfairness

For reference see how logos are accommodated in blocks for display on booth
banner.

   - Camptocamp which is more squat, so it does not use the full width to
   avoid appearing too large (the "Kaplan" effect above)
   - Each logo has about the same amount of background and content pixels
   - QFieldCloud has the hardest time with this balance, as not all of the
   logo has the same contrast.

Goals In design terms the idea is to keep an consistent amount of
whitespace margin around each logo size

   - https://felterunfiltered.com/how-to-design-with-a-bunch-of-logos/
   *"Put your logos in an invisible grid to quickly fix alignment issues.
   Resize them within the grid as necessary."*
   - Assuming each logo in a teir is assigned the same sized block
   - Minimum margin is required for legibility
   - If you imagine a radial line scanning clockwise from the centre of
   the, recording the percentage of background vs logo pixels, the average
   should be the same for each logo
   - An approximate could be done based on aspect ratio of the logo,
   probably with CSS actually

Let me think about it!