[MDAL-Developer] Compiling with HDF5 1.10

Paul Harwood runette at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 02:58:31 PDT 2020

Heho

I am compiling through a GH Action - which you can see for yourself here :

https://github.com/ViRGIS-Team/mdal-upm/blob/main/.github/workflows/winbuild2.yml

IMPORTANT NOTE - before you say. This action CURRENTLY has the
-DWITH_HDF5=OFF. That is so it works despite this issue. If it were not to
have this flag then one would see the error messages I mentioned.

Also :

- I know this is always a clean environment because - GH Action.
- This is VERY DEFINITELY compiling against a different version of HDF5
since I am building against the conda repo of GDAL 3.1.3 and not the
OSGEO4W repo. Sorry, I thought I made that clear in the title.

As far as I am aware the conda repo uses HDF5 1.10.6 and the OSGEO4W repo
seems to use 1.8.14 (or 1.8.11 in the choco repo).

I know this is NOT the MDAL supported version - but it is the current
"preferred" build for GDAL and - since the latest HDF5 version is 1.12,
using 1.8 does seem very backward. QGIS and MDAL probably need to grapple
with this at some point.

However - it seems that there are some compile-time changes needed after
1.8.14. I just wondered if anyone had already solved this?

In the short term - for us compiling without HDF is not a huge issue. And -
I guess we will have to get around to solving it sometime.

Br