[MDAL-Developer] 3D Meshes

Paul Harwood runette at gmail.com
Sun Jun 27 09:23:41 PDT 2021

Re-opening this and adding back the wider group( I had not noticed that
they had dropped off).

The question is about saving 3D meshes with volumetric datasets. The
context is around creating a python interface and using it for 3D
volumetric data.

There are a number of questions coming out of this work - I will raise
individual issues and PRs where appropriate but I wanted to discuss the
issues wider:

1 There seems to be a general lack of drivers capable of writing any sort
of data - according to the flags and therefore also according to the C API
which checks the flags. UGRID, for instance, was mentioned but the Ugrid
driver capabilities do not include the ability to write ANY data. Is that
correct? It seems to contradict what has been said elsewhere.

There are three drivers that can write meshes (2DM, SELAFIN and UGRID). Of
these only one can write data - SELAFIN - and only on vertices. This is
very limited. Is it correct?

The flags also say that DataOnFace can be written by the TUFLOW FV driver
but that meshes cannot, and that data can be written by the DAT drivers.
But none of that helps with creating a new mesh with data of any type (let
alone 3D).

2 There are NO drivers that admit to the ability to write DataOnVolumes
datasets.

Is this true?

3 The C API MDAL_G_addDataset() method explicitly excludes (i.e. there is a
validation check to enforce the exclusion) creation of DataOnVolume
datasets. This does make the conversation earlier in the email chain about
how to create these datasets incorrect. Is there a reason for this
exclusion and is there a way around it.

Thanks for any pointers / comments

Paul