[MDAL-Developer] MDAL, Python and QGIS

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 14:13:34 PST 2022

Hi Paul

On Thu, Dec 1, 2022 at 2:05 PM Paul Harwood <runette at gmail.com> wrote:

> The current state is that `pip install mdal-python` can be used in the
> OSGEO shell and works correctly and the Python bindings package is then
> accessible in the Python Console but it does not work because MDAL (in the
> form of mdal.dll / libmdal.so / libmdal.dylib) is not installed in QGIS.
>
> I thought that QGIS was using MDAL but I guess it is installed in a
> different way.
>
> Does anyone know how this can be addressed?

QGIS uses its own copy of MDAL and by default the library is built into the
mdal provider module, that's why there's no mdal.dll or equivalent. It is
also possible to compile QGIS with a custom MDAL library, but because has
not been spread much outside of QGIS, using the internal copy makes things
simpler.

I can imagine that if there would be demand for it, the OSGeo4W packaging
could be updated so that MDAL would be compiled and shipped as a separate
package with a dedicated mdal.dll - that's something to raise with the
OSGeo4W maintainers I guess...

Regards
Martin