[MetaCRS] Oracle WKT

Martin Desruisseaux martin.desruisseaux at geomatys.fr
Fri Jul 25 04:23:11 EDT 2008

Frank Warmerdam a écrit :
> Mateusz Loskot is currently working on improved support for Oracle
> coordinate systems in the OGR Oracle Spatial driver.  I'm wondering
> if others here have experience with Oracle WKT coordinate system
> definitions - possibly with suggestion on how to map them to more "OGC
> standard" format.

Yes we have meet this case in GeoTools. We adapted our WKT parser to make it
slightly more tolerant to Oracle syntax:

     http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GEOT-1164

but this is not enough. As Norm Olsen point out, there is also the issue of
PROJECTION[...] element containing the name of the CoordinateOperation instead
than the OperationMethod.

The plan in GeoTools is to search this CoordinateOperation in the EPSG database
and replace it by the corresponding OperationMethod during WKT parsing. It would
not involve any additional burden on user side, and no maintainance nightmare
neither, because GeoTools uses a connection to an EPSG database anyway (so this
is an other advantage to working directly with an EPSG database rather than
generating custom tables). We have not yet implemented this plan in GeoTools,
but this is only because of lack of time.

	Martin