[MetaCRS] 'FOSS Maintained' Source of CRS Definitions

Dean C.Mikkelsen dcmikkelsen at terraetl.com
Mon May 12 16:34:13 EDT 2008

Hi everyone,

I can talk with Jim Cain at the APSG/EPSG/OGP and see how
we can work towards what Norm mentions near the end of his
e-mail.

I know the members of the EPSG quite well (as I've worked
with them directly over the years) when I was with
Schlumberger in Europe and the US.

I am now back in the oil & gas industry on a full-time
basis (at WorleyParsons Geomatics) - so I'm running into
this issue and coordinates again.

Norm is correct, there are concatenated transforms that
don't go through WGS84. I've always worked with the idea
of concatenated transforms as a map or a route, that could
be defined within a database structure based on a few
tables.

We also have to consider the various grid transformations
(such as in South Africa, New Zealand, etc.) - in many
cases though the structure has followed CNTv2 and is a
quasi-standard in grid transformations worldwide.

Cheers,
Dean