[MetaCRS] 'FOSS Maintained' Source of CRS Definitions

Norm Olsen norm.olsen at autodesk.com
Mon May 12 18:33:47 EDT 2008

Howard is correct in that, in the case where you don't know the specific code, the site is awkward to use.  More importantly:

1> you don't get to add new definitions; you can only _request_ a change.
2> while you get a complete definition when you ask for a Report, you don't get much of anything useful when you ask for GML.

I believe there is a  mechanism that supports on-line query to obtain a definition.  I'm not an Internet person, so I wouldn't know how that works.  I only know that my old Brand X advertises that it is capable of doing that.

> A question I ask myself is if this problem is solvable, why hasn't it been solved yet?

All the issues you have referenced, plus one more big one:

        Is it a matter of sufficient funding?

I think this is where OGP/EPSG have a big advantage.  Setting up the Geodesy Registry cost a bundle.  Being in the oil business, OGP has lots of money (by our standards, anyway).  So that made it relatively easy for them to implement this and promote it as a standard.  I think that is the primary reason I have suggested EPSG as a possible standard; they have the bucks to pull it off.

The following is an e-mail I was writing when I received Howard's last message:

The following is a link to the EPSG web service.  Turns out, it is free.  Take a look see . . .

http://www.epsg-registry.org/

I have downloaded the entire database in GML format.  It appears to be the EPSG database in XML/GML form.  Each of the 22 tables is carried essentially in same schema as used within Access, but simply in GML form.  It took Internet Explorer  6+ minutes to parse the thing, and (according to Task Manager) it occupied 1.2 gigs of memory after parsing.

A sample of the GML produced by the EPSG web site appears below.  Notice that this is rather unreadable, and contains more XML stuff than it does coordinate system stuff.  Also note, that the interesting stuff is only referenced, and you need the entire database, plus a program to get at it.  For example, aside from the name entry and the description, how do you determine the actual units of the coordinate system.

- <ProjectedCRS xmlns:gmd="http://www.isotc211.org/2005/gmd" xmlns:gco="http://www.isotc211.org/2005/gco" xmlns:epsg="urn:x-ogp:spec:schema-xsd:EPSG:0.1:dataset" xmlns:gml="http://www.opengis.net/gml" xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink" xmlns:rim="urn:oasis:names:tc:ebxml-regrep:xsd:rim:3.0" xmlns="http://www.opengis.net/gml" gml:id="epsg-crs-2232">
- <metaDataProperty>
- <epsg:CommonMetaData>
  <epsg:type>projected</epsg:type>
  <epsg:informationSource>National Geodetic Survey http://www.ngs.noaa.gov/INFO/Policy/st_plane.html</epsg:informationSource>
  <epsg:revisionDate>2001-11-06</epsg:revisionDate>
  <epsg:show>true</epsg:show>
  <epsg:isDeprecated>false</epsg:isDeprecated>
  </epsg:CommonMetaData>
  </metaDataProperty>
  <identifier codeSpace="EPSG">urn:x-ogc:def:crs:EPSG:2232</identifier>
  <name>NAD83 / Colorado Central (ftUS)</name>
  <remarks>State law defines system in US survey feet. Federal definition is metric - see code 26954. For applications with an accuracy of better than 3 feet, replaced by NAD83(HARN) / SPCS.</remarks>
  <domainOfValidity xlink:href="urn:x-ogc:def:area:EPSG:2183" />
  <scope>Large and medium scale topographic mapping and engineering survey.</scope>
  <conversion xlink:href="urn:x-ogc:def:coordinateOperation:EPSG:15314" />
  <baseGeodeticCRS xlink:href="urn:x-ogc:def:crs:EPSG:4269" />
  <cartesianCS xlink:href="urn:x-ogc:def:cs:EPSG:4497" />
  </ProjectedCRS>

Are better schemas for defining coordinate reference systems using GML available anywhere?

Just some info for the pot.

Norm