[bezema@lat-lon.de: Re: [martin.desruisseaux@geomatys.fr: Re:[MetaCRS] Introduction]]

Rutger Bezema bezema at lat-lon.de
Thu May 15 02:27:34 PDT 2008

Hi all,

Currently the deegree crs package is able to use the proj4 configuration files and
the deegree crs format (a schema is available) which was partially created from
the proj4 (4.6) epsg file.  The srs framework provides a mechanism to use other
backends though, we are currently thinking about the implementation of a subset of iso
19111 (gml:dictionary) and a wkt parser as well.  The direct usage of
the epsg database is not implemented yet, but it is a good idea which will
probably be quickly possible as soon as the iso 19111 subset implementation is
finished.

I think Frank Warmerdam's point, that "...there are definitions EPSG doesn't
want to represent for good reasons", is valid. I believe it to be one of the
reasons, that the creation and maintanance of one super crs library will be a
project with lots of 'extreme timeconsuming' side effects, and with marginally
gains. In my opinion the geotools and deegree approach to supply different
file format readers, will --in the end-- keep the sub sets of databases managable
without having to reinvent the wheel every time.

I believe a collection of such standardized 'Providers' would be most beneficial
for all spatial referencing projects, independent of the programming language.

With kind regards,
Rutger Bezema

I would like to

--
l a t / l o n  GmbH
Aennchenstrasse 19           53177 Bonn, Germany

On June 17 is deegree day - Am 17. Juni ist deegree day
              http://deegree.org/deegreeday