[MetaCRS] Re: Google Spherical Mercator (EPSG:3785)

Mikael Rittri Mikael.Rittri at carmenta.com
Wed Oct 1 07:41:38 EDT 2008

Hello,
I am new on this list.  Although Carmenta does not produce open source code,
I hope that I can contribute in other ways.

About the Google Spherical Mercator, EPSG:3785 (discussed here in August 2008),
I would like to express my opinion that the EPSG choice of a spherical datum
is confusing, counter-productive, and just plain unnecessary.  I would prefer
a design where the datum simply is WGS84 (and I think it _is_ WGS84).

Personally, I would prefer if WKT could express a design similar to the second one
mentioned by Melita Kennedy, where a parameter containing an integer (or an enumeration
value) tells the Mercator how it should extract a spherical radius from the ellipsoid
dimensions.

On the other other hand, I can see the benefit of using existing WKT syntax
with new meaning; that is, "semi_major" and "semi_minor" as Projection parameters,
as Martin Desruisseaux suggested.  I didn't know these were standard WKT, though.
Does OGRSpatialReference support them?

There is an interesting poster on this subject by Terry Haran, National Snow and Ice Data Center, USA:
ftp://sidads.colorado.edu/pub/ppp/conf_ppp/Haran/HDF-EOS_vs._GeoTIFF__GIS_Problems_when_Projection_and_Datum_Spheroids_are_Different.pdf

Best regards,

--
Mikael Rittri
Carmenta AB