[MetaCRS] Proj4js 1.0.0 release candidate 1

Richard Greenwood richard.greenwood at gmail.com
Tue Oct 7 20:37:01 EDT 2008

On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 11:52 AM, Mike Adair <madair at dmsolutions.ca> wrote:
> Richard Greenwood wrote:
>>
>> * The dynamic look up code should be in a separate module so that it
>> can be excluded, or a different service lookup service used.
>>

> You may not have a requirement for dynamic loading, but I do (and I suspect
> other people do as well).  I think the implementation I came up with is a
> reasonable compromise because:
> - if you don't need dynamic loading, just include the required defs through
> a script tag and the dynamic loading code is never used.
> - The code to handle dynamic loading amounts to 5k uncompressed and 2k
> compressed so the difference is not a large hit in terms of download time.
> - I initially had that code separated out, but doing that complicates the
> overall library un-necessarily for the end-user. - there isn't an dependency
> on any external libraries now so Proj4js is a self-contained package.

I am saying that it does not belong in the Proj4js.js file. It should
be a separate module/file.

>> * Why did you remove my bi-directional transform form my test page?
>>

> This is still in SVN.  I can add a reverse transform button to the index
> page if you felt that was important.

It was a quick way to test both forward and inverse without having to
cut and paste.

>> * The object model is overly complex, adds nothing to the clarity or
>> usability, and distances the library from its C language origins.
>>

> This is a JavaScript library, not a command line C program, and as such I
> think it is a good thing to use current JS best-practices to implement it.
>  The object model is actually very simple.

When I started the project my intention was to keep it very close to
the cs2cs C code. I recognize the need for a unique namespace. But
beyond that I don't think the object model adds much and in some cases
detracts.

--
Richard Greenwood
richard.greenwood at gmail.com