[MetaCRS] CS-Map RFC 1 - Creation of a GDC file to handle French grid files

Norm Olsen norm.olsen at autodesk.com
Tue Oct 28 18:55:47 EDT 2008

Hello All . . .

Frank mentioned that an NTv2 data file can have sub-grids.  This is certainly true.  There are, however, very specific restrictions on sub-grids within the BTv2 format.  That is, a sub-grid must fully completely cover a rectangular set of grid cells in the parent grid.  A sub-grid may also contain sub-grids within itself.  Again, the restriction applies; the sub-grid must completely cover a rectangular set of grid cells in the parent grid.

Using this sub-grid feature, the IGN could indeed produce a single NTv2 data file where the parent grid would represent the current text file, and each municipality be represented as a sub-grid. Code to handle this situation already exists in CS-MAP.

As proposed, the implementation of a .gdc file for the RGF93 <-> NTF transformation would handle either case, as it is proposed that this implementation would handle both file formats.

Norm