[MetaCRS] CS-Map RFC 1 - Creation of a GDC file to handle French grid files

Norm Olsen norm.olsen at autodesk.com
Wed Oct 29 16:07:18 EDT 2008

Hello Frank . . .

The Canadian NTv2 format would be a good choice; it has one major and two trivial draw backs:

1> It's only two dimensional (major).
2> Internally, it uses west positive longitude (minor, but a pain for developers).
3> Half of the disk space it takes up (and data which must parsed when processing the file) is wasted, it includes some error values which are never used.

I've always been partial to the French format as it is 3D, uses a better geodetic algorithm, and would be easier to produce.  But it doesn't handle the sub-grid issue well which is the whole purpose of this discussion.

Norm