[MetaCRS] Stereographic Projections: stere and sterea

Richard Marsden winwaed at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 14:41:07 EST 2009

Thanks Mikael:  I think that explains it enough for my article.

Although the article and my demos are only interested in polar projections,
I'll use sterea in the implementations, and for the survey part I'll give a
quick summary of the differences as explained in your email and the libproj
docs (found it- thanks!).

I'm also only using these projections for display (with MapServer and
OpenLayers) rather than actual storage. My coords are stored as geographic
WGS84  (as most web mapping apps are).
As they are polar projections, I was also going to limit myself to 90deg
from the pole. I might need to truncate the antipodal hemisphere - something
I'll have to try and see. A hurdle to make the second (how-to) article more
interesting!

Frank: Thanks. I signed up to the proj list, but Mikael's reply came through
before I had confirmed my subscription (it came through overnight).

Thanks everyone,

Richard

.explain the differences.