[MetaCRS] Motion Vote: CS-Map RFC 2 - Redesign Datum Transformation Engine

Norm Olsen norm.olsen at autodesk.com
Mon Jul 12 10:25:20 EDT 2010

There are several downsides to relying on WGS84 as a pivot datum.  Many of these are not current problems; just beginning to become problems.

1> There are now three distinct WGS 84 realizations.  All only slightly different, not different enough yet  to concern most ordinary GIS users.  But nonetheless, they are different.  For example, EPSG now considers what we have always referred to as HPGN/HARN/CSRS as WGS84.

2> There are datum definitions out there (admittedly very few) which do not reference WGS 84.  That is, the definition goes directly from one non-WGS84 datum to another non-WGS84 datum.  Definitions which convert to/from WGS84 are not available.

3> There are now several grid data file conversion techniques which do not convert from/to a WGS84 equivalent (NAD83, GDS94, ETRF89).  For example, the recently added Swiss .gsb file converts from CH1903 to CH1903+.  An additional transformation (7 Parameter) is required to get to WGS84.  Thus, without special kludges to the code, this transformation file could not be used (does not involve WGS84).

4> We have survived for two decades now assuming the NAD83, GDA94, ETRS89, NZGD2K, and a whole flock of other geocentric datums are all identical with WGS84.  In addition to number one above (multiple realizations of WGS84), the differences between WGS84 and these geocentric datums will become a problem pretty soon.

Norm