[MetaCRS] Distance reductions for cadastral mapping

STEPHEN STANTON sstanton at btinternet.com
Fri Jan 7 09:18:21 EST 2011

I'm looking to incorporate support for different map projections as part of a cadastral data entry program.

In particular, I need something that will let me convert ground distances into distances on the map projection (or should I say ellipsoid..., or datum..., or mean sea level)? The software I'm currently using only works for Transverse Mercator - I figure out a couple of approximate positions, then use those positions to calculate a line scale factor that I can then apply to my observed distance.

Of all the MetaCRS projects, it looks like CS-Map is the most comprehensive, but also the most intimidating! On scanning the user guide, I see scale factor mentioned quite a bit, but I didn't spot anything that relates specifically to distance reductions. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Steve