[MetaCRS] Re: [OSGeo-Discuss] Proj4 texts in spatialreference.org missing +towgs84=0, 0, 0

Howard Butler hobu.inc at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 09:47:31 EDT 2011

On Jul 5, 2011, at 7:47 AM, Ari Jolma wrote:

> Folks,
>
> spatialreference.org (which is a great service) reports the proj4 text for for example 3067 without the towgs84 parameters when they are all zeros. IMHO they should be reported as proj4 nowadays requires them to work correctly. The proj4 epsg file contains them. The zeros are needed also in the proj4text field of spatial_ref_sys table of PostGIS.
>
> Omitting towgs parameters (even when they are zeros) causes confusion. See for example
>
> http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gis.postgis/24549 (the comment "This is bewildering. I found this by mere chance").
>
> and I also experienced the same today with PostGIS converting from 2393 to 3067.

Ari,

This is most likely simply a matter of the proj version being used on spatialreference.org not being up-to-date.  spatialreference.org is entirely run by volunteers (mostly Chris), and he hasn't had any bandwidth to dedicate to it lately.  If you are interested in picking things up, please join the MetaCRS (cc'd) list, which is the group that currently oversees it.  I'm sure Chris would have no problem handing you the keys to the VM it lives on to update things and add the features you need.

Howard