[MetaCRS] Re: RFC #5 -- Multi-thread upgrade

Hugues Wisniewski hugues.wisniewski at autodesk.com
Fri Jul 15 05:38:00 EDT 2011

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your input

>I am comfortable with the memory and performance cost of fully caching all grid files in use

This has been discussed quite heavily and the good thing of this RFC is that it leaves the long term door open for large grid files like in Canada.
While for a single user the memory hit would not be bad, for other situations like in a server environment e.g. MapGuide that is using CS-Map, that could become a problem. That's why the current proposal is to have not all grid file transformations treated the same way at first.

You mention Lidar.
What's the plan there? Is it that you'd be implementing a multithreaded transformation breaking up a point cloud into smaller clouds to speed up the process?

Thanks

Hugues