[MetaCRS] Re: RFC #5 -- Multi-thread upgrade

Hugues Wisniewski hugues.wisniewski at autodesk.com
Mon Jul 18 07:26:41 EDT 2011

Hello Paul,

> I haven't spent much time with MapGuide, but I took a look at the
> source and architecture document, and my understanding is that there
> is a single server process with multiple worker threads. Calls to
> CS-MAP are protected by a critical section. (I hope that's efficient
> given there is one call per point when a datum shift is in play.) If
> this is the case, there would only be one copy of each grid in memory,
> which sounds Ok to me.

You're correct on this. The question is how many users can we have at the same time. My understanding is hundreds, possibly more than a thousand but I'm not 100% sure. Just curious, what's acceptable for you? How much memory is acceptable?
Concerning the critical section in MapGuide, an RFC is coming up for review very soon to take advantage of the CS-Map RFC we're discussing here and remove the critical sections for the CS-Map transformations that are re-entrant.

> My sense is that all of these issues could be overcome through
> additional effort and engineering (e.g., make the full-grid-caching...

You're right.
This has also been investigated but has to be pushed back because there's currently no bandwidth to support this additional engineering effort.

Thanks for your detailed input

Hugues

> This has been discussed quite heavily and the good thing of this RFC is that it leaves the long term door open for large grid files like in Canada.

I agree. I think this flexibility (now and for later) is a very good approach.

> While for a single user the memory hit would not be bad, for other situations like in a server environment e.g. MapGuide that is using CS-Map, that could become a problem.

I haven't spent much time with MapGuide, but I took a look at the
source and architecture document, and my understanding is that there
is a single server process with multiple worker threads. Calls to
CS-MAP are protected by a critical section. (I hope that's efficient
given there is one call per point when a datum shift is in play.) If
this is the case, there would only be one copy of each grid in memory,
which sounds Ok to me. However, if I've understood incorrectly, it may
be that there are multiple MapGuide processes on a machine, which
could make this a more significant issue.