[MetaCRS] CS-Map: policy for changing coordinate system/datum/transformation definitions in place

Raven Kopelman raven.kopelman at safe.com
Fri Oct 4 16:24:23 PDT 2013

Hi Hugues,

Now that GDC files are no longer used it doesn't seem like there is a
meaningful distinction between the difficulty of editing grid and non-grid
transformations.  I had assumed the relaxed attitude about GDC edits had
more to do with the pain of having to add a new datum method and GDC file
to avoid editing them.

In the long run, we will be able to stay closer to the CS-Map trunk if grid
transformations are not changed in place.

As an aside, the VALIDATION parameter changes to all the MULREG
transformations (1.401->1.1) significantly reduced their effective areas of
interest, resulting in datum based fallback usage in more cases.  You can
see 13km differences in Canadian datapoints converted via NAD27-48_to_WGS84
after the VALIDATION param change.  Is that type of in-line change
considered acceptable because the points are outside the official supported
region?

Cheers,

--
Raven Kopelman | Software Developer