[MetaCRS] Current Status

Howard Butler howard at hobu.co
Thu Sep 1 07:57:19 PDT 2016

> On Mar 8, 2016, at 10:32 AM, Landon Blake <sunburned.surveyor at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hey guys. There is some discussion about pulling MetaCRS out of the OSGeo incubation process. Is anyone still actively working on MetaCRS code/tests/documentation? Was the project ever assigned an incubation mentor, and who was working with the mentor?
>
> I'm trying to decide if I should step up to do some work on MetaCRS, either to help it get trough incubation or to move it into OSGeo Technology Projects. Before I make a decision, I'm trying to wrap my hands around the current status.

Landon,

I think MetaCRS should be removed from OSGeo's incubation process, and each of the member projects (proj.4, csmap, proj4js, sr.org) be pushed off into OSGeo's Member projects area. If the member projects wish to have PSCs they can do so with that mechanism, and it will eliminate the current situation where non-members end up voting through releases and motions.

MetaCRS is successful as a mailing list to bring together coordinate system folks. Proj4's mailing list has also served that role. It is not now or never will be an OSGeo project in the classical sense of the word, and it is a frustrating fit to try to shoehorn it in that way.

Howard