[Mobilitydb-dev] Initial MEOS implementation

Esteban Zimanyi estebanzimanyi at gmail.com
Thu Jul 28 09:31:27 PDT 2022

Dear Krishna

Many thanks for this encouraging news ! We are happy to see that we
are on the right track !

Thanks for pointing out the potential issue of divergence between MEOS
and (future) versions of PostgreSQL. Our current assessment is as
follows
* The risk for the basic data types such as boolean, int, float, and
text are minimal. For example, PostgreSQL adds some wrapping
functionality over the one provided by C, e.g., to ensure
compatibility across platforms, as e.g.,
https://github.com/postgres/postgres/blob/master/src/backend/utils/adt/float.c#L1935
which we needed to replicate in MEOS as an internal function
https://github.com/MobilityDB/MobilityDB/blob/develop/meos/src/general/pg_call.c#L59
* On the contrary, you are right with respect to time data types. For
example, in the forthcoming PG 15 version the Interval data type has
been improved wrt previous versions
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/15/release-15.html
In MEOS we borrowed the PG 14 definitions for Interval. We still need
to see how these modifications would enter into MEOS

Regards

Esteban