[Journal] standards

Markus Neteler neteler.osgeo at gmail.com
Wed Apr 4 12:06:50 EDT 2007

On 4/3/07, Martin Wegmann <wegmann at biozentrum.uni-wuerzburg.de> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> just a few ideas which words/reference etc. we ought to standardise:
>
> article beginning:
> title
> by authorXX (no titles, just name (first and surname)

Sounds good.

> Address at the end:
> Name
> Organization
> email (no @ e.g.: wegmann_AT_biozentrum.uni-wuerzburg.de)
> URL
> About (short description of author?)

All good.

> -> so that readers can directly open the link

Perfect.

> Bibliogrpahie:
> when \cite{} and \thebibliography is used in the article shall we use the
> default? e.g.
> \cite{authorXX} appears as: [1]
> \cite{authorYY} appears as: [2]

This I personally don't like too much. The natbib style does it
nicely (we want it human readable, not machine readable :)
I can help if needed.

> Commands:
> \begin{footnotesize}
> \begin{verbatim}
> commands
> commands
> \end{verbatim}
> \begin{footnotesize}

For commands I made a macro in our GRASS book:
\usepackage{letterspace}   %  to adjust letter spacings in \grass{} environment
%normal tt font size, but shrinks the letter space slightly (by 5 percent):
%note: not allowed in captions, use \texttt{} there
\def\grass#1{\noindent{\grassfont\letterspace to .95\naturalwidth{#1}}}

This avoids that courier fonts commands consume too much space.
Usage: Now we start \grass{nviz}.

Of course \grass{} should be renamed to something sensitive.
For blocks of commands, I modified the verbatim to:

\usepackage{fancyvrb}      % get a nice programmable Verbatim environment

%note: we use \begin{Verbatim}\end{Verbatim} to customize the font:
\RecustomVerbatimEnvironment{Verbatim}{Verbatim}{fontfamily=courier,fontsize=\small}

Usage:
Bla bla example for SQL pattern matching bla:
\begin{Verbatim}
# match exactly number of characters (here: 2)
# (does not work for DBF driver):
v.db.select geology where="GEO_NAME LIKE 'Za__'"

# define wildcard (any length):
v.db.select geology where="GEO_NAME LIKE 'Z%'"
\end{Verbatim}

Cheers
markus