[Journal] Fwd: Re: OSGeo-Journal: proof reading

Micha Silver micha at arava.co.il
Mon Apr 16 14:19:45 EDT 2007

Martin Wegmann wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I asked Paolo Cavallini do do some proof-reading and he realized that in
> Case-Studies about Mapguide, MS SQL server etc. the application is partly
> proprietary and we ought discuss how far we support the presentation of
> proprietary software in an OSGeo Journal.
>
> any opinions?
>
> Martin

I noticed that when I first reviewed the article. The project uses
Mapguide Opensource integrated with other proprietary software. Mapguide
itself is FOSS - the way it was implemented in the San Francisco example
is an integrated approach. The article clearly states that that was
their original design.
Furthermore Autodesk is a (founding?) member of OSGeo.

I'd like to point out a similar problem with a different article: Landon
Blake did a write up on spatial relations. No where in his article is
FOSS (or any softwre for that matter) mentioned. It's a theoretical
presentation, and the FOSS aspect is totally ignored. I have more
misgivings about that article than the Mapguide one.

Regards,
Micha