[Newsletter] OSGeo-.... News? Journal?

Tyler Mitchell tylermitchell at shaw.ca
Wed Mar 7 13:27:33 EST 2007

It sounds to me like OSGeo Magazine or Journal are the two most
popular suggestions for naming the newsletter, without many other
options being presented.  Are there any other opinions or ideas or
arguments?  Let's try to wrap this up shortly.

Here are the arguments going through my head:

I think I prefer Journal because it sounds more 'community' focused
and speaks of  chronicling happenings and developments over time -
more like adding entries to a journal over time to describe and
represent the community.  Sure, it can be thought of as a more
scientific name - but I think we can set our own definition for our
own purpose here.  It will only take one volume to help make people
realise that we are not aiming for a scholastic publication, though
we do want it to be solid content and as professional as possible.

I like Magazine because it instantly means something to people -
something they can pick up and read about projects, news, etc.  But
apart from that Magazine sounds so boring (to me) and often articles
are written by in-house contributors, whereas we are merely an
editorial board (more like a Journal..).