[Newsletter] My first attempt at LaTEX...

Micha Silver micha at arava.co.il
Tue Mar 27 03:00:29 EDT 2007

Tyler Mitchell wrote:

> On 26-Mar-07, at 5:01 PM, Sunburned Surveyor wrote:
>
>> I've completed my article in OpenOffice and I have now attempted to
>> move it to LaTEX format.
>>

> Show of hands please - who wants to try subversion/SVN?  We have a
> place ready to use.

We'll need an easy way/place to "dump" the final latex formatted
articles. If subversion is the best for that, then why not, even though
there probably won't be any need for the check-in/check-out feature of a
versioning control system.

>>  Might we consider using ODT to transfer the text content of articles
>> instead of LaTEX?
>> At some point on the production line we could move from ODT or even
>> plain text to LaTEX or another format that makes the styling and
>> graphics production easier. I'm not trying to complain, this is just
>> a suggestion we might consider in the future...
>
> All reasonable ideas!
>
> Tyler

The problem with 'odt' (or any other DTP) formatting is that each author
will choose different formatting, and editors would have to go thru and
reformat anyway. By choosing Latex we supposedly should be able to avoid
that.

Cheers,
Micha